Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Phyllo Pizza

Another first for me! I had never worked with phyllo dough before (and honestly, it took me a while to realize it’s in the freezer section in the supermarket). After poking around online looking for recipes (specifically ones that weren’t too hors d’ouerve-y or dessert-y), I decided to try a pizza. I had some fingerling potatoes that needed to be used, so I found some other ingredients that would go well with those. The toppings ended up being:

  • fingerling potatoes
  • asparagus
  • goat cheese
  • garlic
  • Parmesan cheese
  • rosemary
I boiled the potatoes, let those cool before slicing them up into little slivers (being careful not to sliver my own fingerlings, yuk yuk), tossed that in olive oil. Then I chopped up some asparagus and rosemary and garlic, and tossed those in olive oil. I’m not sure all that oil was necessary, as the pizza was rather oily in the end but I was afraid of burning everything in the oven.

When the phyllo was unfrozen, I worked quickly to get five layers onto the baking sheet, brushing olive oil and sprinkling some of the Parmesan on top of each sheet. The instructions on the box of phyllo seemed to imply that it dries out at the drop of a hat, so I was doing all this a bit more frantically than I usually cook. Then, added the toppings and the rest of the Parm, and into the oven! It cooked at 375 for about 18 minutes and came out smelling and looking delicious. Generally, my least favorite part of pizza is the dough (too doughy!), so the crispiness of phyllo was a perfect balance to the oozy goat cheese, just-roasted asparagus, and potatoes. I had the other half for lunch today, but the phyllo was a little soggy (though popping it in an oven may have restored its crisp).
lunch time pizza

[guidance for phyllo pizza making here; inspiration for toppings here]

No comments:

Post a Comment